One of the major services I offer as a holistic dentist at my dental practice in Kenmore is safe amalgam removal. But what surprises me is how many people who do not know what dental amalgam is and why there are concerns over it’s safety.
So it doesn’t come as a surprise that I am frequently asked questions like: “What is amalgam removal? Why is it done? What is involved? Is getting my amalgams replaced difficultly? Should I get my amalgams removed? Is it expensive? How long will removing my amalgams take? What else do I need to do?”
In this series of blog posts “Amalgam Removal FAQ’s” I will aim to address and answer those questions.
Firstly let’s start by looking at what amalgam is: dental amalgam is a filling material that has been used by dentists for nearly 200 years. Have a peek inside your mouth, see those silver metal fillings, often placed in your back teeth, those are an amalgam.
Dental amalgam is a mixture of silver, copper, tin and other metals mixed with 50% or more MERCURY!
Mercury is a toxic heavy metal and is detrimental to health yet dentists are trained to mix it as a filling material and implant it into your teeth – so it must be safe then, right? Not exactly ……
Studies have shown that the mercury from the filling vaporises and leaches from the filling over its lifetime. This mercury vapour then enters your bloodstream via the lungs where it passes quickly into your cells and into your brain and other organs. Once mercury is in your system it is difficult for your body to get rid of it and herein lies the problem.
Mercury is the most toxic of the heavy metals and having it your body can lead to a whole host of complications and potential health issues. This is why holistic dentistry advocates amalgam removal.
The amalgam fillings act as a reservoir for mercury, constantly drip feeding day after day more and more mercury into your body. Having amalgam fillings in your teeth makes it harder for your body to remove mercury from its tissues and cells so more and more mercury accumulates over time.
Now please don’t just rush out to your nearest dentist and demand they take your fillings out! You need to resource a SMART certified dentist… and here’s why.
The most significant volumes of mercury get released from your filling at the time when it is drilled due to the massive amount of friction that drilling creates.
Friction and heat of any kind from chewing, hot food and drinks, brushing your teeth, clenching and grinding and especially the dentist drill causes mercury to vaporise from the amalgam. That mercury vapour coming off your filling via the drill ends up being inhaled by you and the dental team themselves and can be more harmful than if you had simply left the filling alone.
The removal and replacement of amalgam need to be done carefully and safely and by a dentist who understands the implications of mercury.
Contact the team at Evolve Dental Healing 07 3720 1811 for more information or to book an amalgam removal consultation with Dr Rachel Hall a SMART certified Holistic dentist.