The scientific community has long established that the accumulation of heavy metals in the body may result in a plethora of adverse health conditions as they compromise the body’s overall well being. In this article, I will walk you through the top super foods that help detoxify the body and eliminate the harmful heavy metals from the body.
Heavy metals such as arsenic cadmium, chromium, lead, and mercury, occur naturally. These metals are systemic toxicants known to induce adverse health effects in humans, including cardiovascular diseases, developmental abnormalities, neurologic and neurobehavioral disorders, diabetes, hearing loss, haematologic and immunologic disorders, and various types of cancer.
Food intake plays a central role in heavy metal exposure and accumulation in the body.
Toxic elements such as mercury, arsenic, cadmium, and lead can diminish mental and central nervous system function; elicit damage to blood composition as well as the kidneys, lungs, and liver; and reduce energy levels. Food is considered one of the main routes of their entry into the human body.
Top detox foods that help flush out heavy metals
- Coriander — contains strong chelating properties that bind with heavy metals and flush them out of the body.
- Spirulina — The blue-green algae is an excellent source of folic acid and is touted for its efficacy in removing heavy metals from the nervous system and the liver.
- Probiotic foods — According to experts, probiotic-rich foods contain high levels of lactic acid that binds to metal atoms.
- Citrus fruits — Like lactic acid, the high citric acid content in citrus fruits are also known to attach to metal atoms and lead them out of the body’s system.
- Activated charcoal — Experts note that activated charcoal can be safely consumed by those who want to detoxify their bodies. Like any other chelating agent, activated charcoal tends to stick to metal atoms and rid the body of heavy metal deposits.
- Chlorella — Another type of beneficial algae, chlorella is known to bind with metal deposits in the body.
- Milk thistle seeds — According to previous studies, milk thistle seeds protect against the harmful effects of mercury.
- Garlic — Past studies have also shown that garlic is highly effective in keeping the harmful effects of heavy metals such as cadmium and mercury at bay.
- Alpha lipoic acids — Foods rich in alpha lipoic acids — such as peas, Brussels sprouts, and broccoli as well as spinach and rice bran — are believed to have the capacity to cross the blood brain barrier and take out heavy metals from the brain.
Reasons To Detox Other Than Heavy Metals
If you’re one of the millions of people suffering from obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure or even just plain feeling crummy as a result of the Standard American Diet (SAD), you’ll want to seriously consider detoxifying, whether heavy metals are an issue or not.
Unfortunately, feeling awful has become the new normal for many people. We dismiss things like carrying around extra weight, feeling achy, constantly being tired, having no sex drive, and increased risk for disease as natural side effects of ageing.
However, a well-designed detoxification plan can help to reset the body and kick-start your health. One of the key components of a detox is including a plethora of foods that help boost the body’s natural detoxification processes.
As well as the foods mentioned above for heavy metal detox it is a good idea to include these foods into your everyday diet:
Foods For Everyday Detox
- Cruciferous vegetables daily –includes broccoli, kale, Brussels sprouts and cauliflower
- Garlic cloves – 2 to 3 every day (or take a garlic supplement)
- Organic green tea in the morning instead of coffee
- Fresh vegetables juices – includes celery, coriander, and parsley
- Prepared herbal detoxification teas containing a mixture of burdock root, dandelion root, liquorice root, sarsaparilla root, cardamom seed, cinnamon bark and other herbs
- High-quality, sulphur-containing proteins including eggs as well as garlic and onions
- Bioflavonoids which are found in grapes, berries and citrus fruits
- Dandelion greens to help liver detoxification, improve the flow of bile and increase urine flow.
- Celery to increase the urine flow and aid in detoxification.
- Rosemary, which contains carnosol, a potent booster of detoxification enzymes
- Curcuminoids (turmeric and curry) for their antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action
- Burdock root to aid in detoxification
- Chlorophyll found in dark-green leafy vegetables
- Pycnogenol (found in grape seeds) in supplement form for support of detoxification and circulation
Benefits of Detoxing
- Remove Toxins from the Body (and Cleanse the Liver)
- Reduce Inflammation
- Aid Weight Loss
- Promote Skin Health
- Boost Energy and Mental Alertness
By eating in a way that restores and supports your detox processes you will feel healthier, have more energy and age better.
To learn more about heavy metal detox, safe amalgam removal or replacement of metal fillings call Evolve Dental Holistic Dentist Brisbane today 07 3720 1811
Sources include: WakingTimes.com LiveStrong.com NCBI.NLM.NIH.gov OnlineLibrary.Wiley.com