What is all the fuss about mercury fillings, surely dentists wouldn’t put it in our teeth if it wasn’t safe, would they?
Leading Brisbane holistic dentist Dr Rachel Hall has been providing safe amalgam removal and mercury-free dentistry for over 20 years and fully understands the risks of having mercury fillings in your teeth.
The fuss stems from the fact that mercury leaks from your fillings over time, accumulating in your body and putting you at risk of mercury toxicity.
Mercury is very dangerous to the human body, it is a highly toxic heavy metal.
Mercury is a powerful metabolic poison, which means that it can damage any cell or tissue in the body, as well as numerous enzymes and hormones. There is no safe exposure limit for mercury – none whatsoever.
Mercury that has been absorbed in the bloodstream is stored in the body organs, like the kidneys, liver, nerve tissue including the brain and the gastrointestinal tract.
Once present in the organs, mercury may damage individual cells, preventing them from functioning normally. This affects the efficiency of the organs and disrupts your body’s normal biochemistry and physiology, leading to acidity, inflammation, and a whole cascade of issues.
The time it takes for the first signs of mercury poisoning to appear is dependent on a variety of factors. These include the forms of mercury, the volume of exposure, the route it was exposed through, and everyone’s unique response.
The exposure to dental mercury is chronic and accumulative over time and unfortunately, it can take many years before a person starts recognising the symptoms and joining the dots back to the mercury.
When chewing or grinding or exposed to heat mercury is released from the amalgam filling in the form of mercury vapour. This vapour is then readily inhaled. Once in the lungs, the vapour is absorbed into the bloodstream and distributed throughout the body. Some of the released mercury can also be dissolved in the saliva from where it can be swallowed or absorbed through the mouth’s soft tissues.
On top of this, we are exposed to mercury from external sources such as environmental pollution and dietary intake.
Symptoms related to mercury poisoning are vast and can vary greatly between individuals. Some common symptoms include:
At present, no one can categorically say whether or not you should have your dental fillings replaced. Unfortunately, the obvious symptoms of mercury damage may take a long time to become noticeable.
Speak to a SMART certified holistic dentist to get more information on which to base your decision. At the end of the day, the decision is yours alone and you must listen to what feels right for you.
Because people have different symptoms, there is no hard and fast rule regarding the need to go for detoxification. Some people find their symptoms warrant the need to follow a comprehensive detoxification program using chelating agents. (These bind to the mercury which is trapped in the tissues).
Others feel happy using a gentler approach with diet and supplements. If you would like to do a detox Evolve Dental can support you by providing detox information and recommendations of practitioners that can work with you to address mercury detox following the removal of the mercury amalgam fillings.
Composite tooth-coloured fillings are a great alternative to amalgam, and if placed correctly are very effective and long-lasting. In some cases, if it is a large filling or there are cracks in the tooth, a stronger porcelain material may be used.
Try to find a dentist experienced and knowledgeable in this area; one that is SMART certified and has been providing ‘mercury-free’ and ‘mercury-safe’ dentistry for some time. They will be able to advise you on your own needs and ensure your mercury fillings are removed safely and with no fuss.
Dr Rachel Hall of Evolve Dental has been providing SMART mercury-safe amalgam removal at her Brisbane dental office for over 20 years.
Call us today to find out more and to book your amalgam removal consultation today. 07 3720 1811