Dr Rachel Hall Kenmore dentist shares her 10 tips for a beautiful smile.
“All I want for Christmas is my teeth to look and feel great.”
With the festive season rapidly approaching thoughts turn to social gatherings, family lunches, posing for photographs as you celebrate with friends and perhaps a kiss or two under the mistletoe. However if you are embarrassed by your smile or suffer from bad breath these events and occasions may fill you with dread.
Here are my top 10 tips to overcome these difficulties and have a beautiful looking smile and fresh breath this holiday season and beyond:
1. Get a professional dental clean– see your dentist or hygienist to have your teeth descaled and polished to remove that unsightly tartar and stain build up and improve your gum health. Regular dental cleans help prevent gum disease, decrease your risk for tooth loss and serious health issues like heart disease, diabetes, pneumonia and even some types of cancer.
2. Brush and floss twice a day every day– keep your mouth fresh, clean and healthy with good oral hygiene at home. Plaque and tartar start to build very quickly on your teeth causing them to look and feel dirty. Great home care helps prevent dental decay, gum disease, mouth infections and bad breath.
3. Use a good quality mouthwash– using an alcohol-free antibacterial mouthwash on a daily basis can help reduce plaque build-up and keep your mouth feeling and smelling fresh.
4. Try a tongue cleaner– ugghh there is nothing worse than a white-coated furry looking tongue. Using a tongue cleaner removes food debris, bacteria and mucous build up to form the tongue surface which not only makes your tongue look and feel healthy it can also reduce the nasty odours that lead to bad breath.
5. Teeth whitening– concerned your teeth are looking yellow, stained or just plain old then consider getting your teeth whitened. Teeth whitening is safe, effective and yet affordable with over the counter take-home kits, custom made whitening or in-chair services you can have whiter brighter teeth immediately or in a matter of days. At Evolve Dental Healing we use Natural+ whitening, as it contains no fluoride or heavy metals and does not dehydrate your teeth or cause sensitivity. It is packed with minerals that actually help protect and strengthen your tooth enamel.
6. Give foods and drinks that stain your teeth a miss– dark coloured foods can discolour and stain your teeth, as can red wine, tea and coffee. If you want to keep your teeth looking clean and fresh cut back on these beverages and try some water instead.
7. Quit smoking– smoking causes many health issues and will stain and yellow your teeth. Smokers have more gum disease and dental issues than non-smokers and are more prone to tooth loss, mouth cancers and mouth infections. If you want to have a great healthy smile then giving up those smokes should be your number 1 priority.
8. Have a smile makeover– if you have crowded, discoloured, broken or misshaped teeth consider getting a smile makeover to straighten, whiten and cosmetically enhance your smile. Modern dental techniques and materials mean we can give you that million-dollar smile without the million-dollar price tag. From Smilefast magic braces to wafer-thin ceramic veneers and crowns, we have a solution for almost every cosmetic concern.
9. Replace your old worn fillings or amalgams– those old dark metal fillings that make your teeth look black and grey when you smile and laugh really detract from your appearance. But did you know they could also pose a health risk? Dental amalgam contains mercury that leaks out of the fillings and builds up in your body causing heavy metal toxicity. Also, dental amalgam is responsible for causing teeth to crack and fracture. Getting your dental amalgams safely replaced by a holistically trained dentist will not only improve your smile but could also improve your health and prevent major dental problems down the track.
10. Get a fresh breath analysis–bad breath is often a taboo topic and even your closest friends and family may be too embarrassed to tell you that your breath smells. You may have even noticed bad breath yourself but no amount of mint popping, mouthwash swishing and tooth brushing is going to fix your problem as these things only temporarily mask those bad breath odours. At Evolve Dental Healing we run a Fresh Breath clinic where we use the latest technology to sample and analyse your breath to accurately diagnose and treat your condition. So don’t let bad breath prevent you from enjoying the festivities this year ask us how we can help.
You may be thinking you’ve left it too late to get your teeth and smile looking amazing for this holiday season …
Well if that’s the case make your dental health and having the smile you’ve always dreamed of your number 1 New Years resolution – call us to ask how we can help you reach your dental goals and have a beautiful healthy smile for life 07 3720 1811